[albatross-users] A better page system

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Fri Jun 6 11:10:54 EST 2003

>What is the case when the high ascii character appears in the template
>file?  Is it okay there, or does it still cause the execption?  If it's
>okay there, then I'm all for it being in this pre-release; if not a
>switch to disable unicode would be nice (it should be on by default IMHO
>than off, since we are supposed to all be using it now =3Dp).
>
>Reason is I'm pretty sure my code is safe here, but templates come in
>from designers and who knows what Dreamweaver is doing.  But I have
>albatross running quite a few sites here and I'd like to begin moving
>them back to a standard albatross and not my hacked version to do things
>like custom headers and multiple cookies - both of which I know are in
>the next release.

I suspect this will be a problem. There is no sensible answer without
knowing what character set the input file uses. Python 2.3 added a magic
string that can be added to .py files to flag their character set -
we'll probably need to do the same.

I think we'll skip the unicode support for the next release (due to
these issues and a lack of time), but immediately after the release,
we should put out a pre with unicode support so those who need and
understand unicode can give feedback.