[albatross-users] crafting get arg urls

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Sun Jul 13 17:18:55 EST 2003

> I'm hitting another cognitive brick wall.  It's probably because I'm
> up too late but here is what's messing with my head.
>
> Need to create a get style URL for the spamtrap entry display.  was
> using a single argument and manually generated the anchor record
> just fine.  Tried adding an argument and things got confused with
> the & and all.
>
> here's what I'm generating for albatross:
> <al-a
> href="'spamtrap_display.cgi?repository=dumpster&token='+line.value().token"
> target="spamtrap_display">

Try:
  <al-a
  expr="'repository=dumpster&token='+line.value().token"
  target="spamtrap_display">

The expr attribute is used to evaluate an href attribute.  The href
attribute is then mostly untouched.  It gets the current_url()
prefixed when '?' cannot be found in the value you specify.

If you specify the href directly then the prefix is still added if
necessary.

> The real problem is getting clarity on quoting mixed in with
> variable execution. I realize as I'm working on these problems that
> I don't know or can't find easily a simple statement on how to
> retrieve values and substitute them into strings simply and easily
> as the case above demonstrates.
>
> it's a real simple thing and common to virtually every aspect of
> albatross.  The answer to this problem will probably occurred to me in
> the morning but for now, it's irritating the hell out of me.

More explanation is probably necessary in the documentation,