[albatross-users] Using additional path information as request parameters

Matt Goodall matt at pollenation.net
Mon Jul 7 21:21:45 EST 2003

In some cases I would like to have a _random_ app page process a request
where the request parameters are appended to the URL in a path-like
manner. For instance, I might have an Alabtross page that display a
book's details. The conventional way to achieve it is to use the
following url:

    /app.py/book?id=123

What I would rather use is a URL with 123 as the last part of the path:

    /app.py/book/123

In both cases the book module would process the request.

The only way I can think of is to use some fairly complex mod_rewrite
rules (which I prefer to avoid whenever possible) which turns book/123
into book?id=123. Does anyone have any better idea?

The reason for all this? It produces search engine friendly URLs. Some
search engines still crawl pages with request parameters.

A great section for the Wiki would be integrating Albatross with Apache
and possible IIS if anyone uses it. I'll add that to the list.

Thanks, Matt

--
Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd
w: http://www.pollenationinternet.com