[albatross-users] Newbie question

Gregory Bond gnb at itga.com.au
Fri Jul 4 18:09:00 EST 2003

> In order to better learn Albatross I'm converting an existing cgi. This
> is a fairly simple cgi which gets some info from the user and then
> calls itself a few times with different options to generate some
> embedded images.

Hmmm... AFAICT this is not the sort of application where Albatross shines, so
I'm not real surprised you are running into some conceptual issues.  About the
best thing that springs to mind is to have the main app generate the images
into a temp directory before spitting out the HTML, then reference them with a
call to a simple (non-Albatross) cgi that simply returns the cached image.

Another approach might be to use a Random app which is much more
tolerant of unusual page orders.   Have a "page" called "images" in the
trandom app that doesn't update the session state, but creates and
returns the requested image based on session info, then refer to them
from the "main" page with something like "..../application?image=1"
(Random apps are not as well documented as the non-Random versions, and
they have quite a different design.)