[albatross-users] Re: Albatross-users digest, Vol 1 #176 - 14 msgs

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Wed Jul 2 01:41:05 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 21:34, Dave Cole wrote:
> It is responses like this that tell us where our weaknesses are.  We
> need at more small examples that are carefully explained.  I raised
> this with Andrew a week or so ago and asked if he thought we should
> remove the popview example.  He said that the popview example was good
> because it actually did something real.

I think that Albatross needs an explicit pattern library, in the
documentation if possible (or perhaps patterns can be migrataed from the
wiki into the documentation with each new release) - like the Python
Cookbook edited by Alex Martelli, which is very, very useful. The manual
is a bit too phenomenological at the moment: here is a tag, here is a
context, here is a hippopotamus - but not enough examples of how they
relate to one another when solving real-life problems. Such examples are
essential for developing the gestalt to which Eric refers.

These patterns need to go from the basic through to the more complex.

I also think that things like popview are useful in order to demonstrate
what's possible to people who are assessing Albatross - but that these
examples should (also) be hosted directly on an Object Craft Web site so
they don't need to install Albatross to try them out.

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B  EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0