[albatross-users] SessionFileAppMixin has no session_age

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Tue Jan 28 11:53:11 EST 2003

>    Is there a technical reason why SessionFileAppMixin has no 'session_age'
>    argument?  I see it in SessionServerApp, and I'd like to use it in the
>    File version.  Just wondering if this has already been attempted and
>    wasn't able to be easily done, or if it's just not being dealt with.

With the SessionServer sessions, you have a single session daemon, which
can track sessions and clean out old ones, but with the SessionFile
implementation, processes come and go, so I decided it should really be
an external mechanism.

Under Unix, you would probably just have a cron job that cleaned out any
files with a modification date older than some age. Something like this
would remove sessions older than a day:

    find /some/session/dir -mtime +1 | xargs rm

What's probably needed is a python equivilent, something like (WARNING -
UNTESTED):

    import os, time

    def session_clean(dir, age):
        """
        Scan "dir" for files older than "age" seconds, and remove them
        """
        expire_time = time.time() - age
        for filename in os.listdir(dir):
            filepath = os.path.join(dir, filename)
            if os.path.getmtime(filepath) < expire_time:
                os.unlink(filepath)