[albatross-users] Should escaping also escape "+"?

Gregory Bond gnb at itga.com.au
Tue Dec 2 16:48:56 EST 2003

Consider this:

	import albatross
	ctx = albatross.SimpleContext('.')
	ctx.locals.val = 'a+b'
	albatross.Template(ctx, '<magic>', '''
	        <al-a expr="'?file=%s' % val">Test</al-a>
	''').to_html(ctx)
	ctx.flush_content()

This returns
But (in the context of a larger application), when the link is clicked on,
ctx.locals.file gets set to "a b".

(The real code is a form with many filenames and a "process" link next to each
to process the named file.)

Should the HTML escaping also escape + characters?  And "?" characters? Or am
I asking Albatross to protect me from myself (or more accurately from idiot
users who put "+" signs in filenames) and I should check for this myself?