[albatross-users] complete newbie al-for / template problem....

Gregory Bond gnb at itga.com.au
Fri Sep 13 17:41:19 EST 2002

> I think the spaces around the '=' in the <al-for ... expr = "...">
> tags are causing the parser regexes to not recognise the tags.

That looks like it.  It seems the template parser thinggy is much more limited
than I might haver expected.  (I don't remember reading anything that warned
against this sort of thing, but perhaps this is assumed XML knowledge?)

Some other ways I have tricked it:
	<al-for iter="f", expr="alist">	(note the bogus comma)

	<al-for iter="f" expr='''
		( 1, 2, 3,  # Lots and lots more
		4, 5, 6
		)
		'''> (which seems reasonable from a python programmer's viewpoint!)

These both gave an unhelpful message about "</al-for> not expected".

Also:
	<al-input type="text" name="aname" size=10>
		(note the missing "" around the size arg)
which caused the al-input tag to be passed through the template expansion
verbatim, even tho this seems to work in raw HTML.

Not bad for a couple of hours fiddling!

So this comes to a suggestion: add a section to the manual to explain that the
tag format is very picky and must be properly-formated XML.

And a complete aside: has anyone looked at an Xemacs XML editing mode that
knows the albatross tags?

Greg.