[albatross-users] ctx.req_equals() question.

Michael C. Neel neel at mediapulse.com
Thu Nov 28 10:56:41 EST 2002

> I'm forever coming up with schemes to hide this behaviour in my
> apps. Albatross should help - maybe ctx.req_equals should check for
the
> .x form? This would be a compatibility problem, however. Any
preferences?

Well, since ctx.locals.mybutton and ctx.locals.mybutton.x both do exist,
I wouldn't see a problem with both.

For the documentation, I'd love to see the tag pages show both the using
and the parsing.  I've read the doc completely once, so now I just use
it as reference.  The two things I look up most is how do I access data
when submitted and what member functions/variables does object x have.
The first sometimes takes some searching; the latter usually takes some
digging though base classes - a link to the base class on those pages
would help a lot.

> I guess it's abusing the spirit of HTML, rather than any technical
> problem.  HTML 4 (I think) added explicit button inputs, but they
require
> javascript to be enabled to work, which sort of defeats the purpose.

I hate having to resort to client side scripting for application stuff.
Field validation is nice, but switching between deleting a record or
updating should be done server side, imho.

My normal method would be PATH_INFO, but I tried giving <al-form> custom
action tags, and let's just say I don't try that any more ;) (Albatross
in the voice of Bart Simpson - Ow, quit it.  Ow, quit it.).  It would be
nice if image submits took a value argument like the text counter part,
but then the last place I go for HTML syntax is W3C.  If it works in IE,
NS and lynx it's good enough for me!

Mike