Albatross the name Was: [albatross-users] Accessing the list of names in the context?

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at cutter.rexx.com
Fri Nov 15 05:05:36 EST 2002

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 10:22:58AM +1100, Gregory Bond wrote:
> > Instead of doing this, try using
> >     <al-for iter="ctxiter" expr="locals().keys()">
>
> Ripper. Thanks!
>
> This albatross thing is sooooo cool.  Pity about the seabird bloody flavour
> tho.

I agree about the software but disagree about the bird.

The albatross is a magnificent creature.  Nothing flies farther and
stays up longer than an Albatross.  It's a very appropriate name.

Also, an albatross stays aloft with very little effort and almost
no wing flapping.  Efficiency and effortlessness are also apt
connotations for Albatross the Web app server.

Also, some species, at least, mate for life or long periods.  Stick
with Albatross.  It won't let you down.

By the way, in case you are worrying about the "albatross around
the neck" thing, I looked up the "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner".
(http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/stc/Coleridge/poems/Rime_Ancient_Mariner.html)
The reason that the albatross was chosen as a symbol in that poem
is because, for a sailor, sighting an albatross was/is a *good*
omen.  Needless to say, there are (some of us) bird watchers who
would be thrilled at the sight of an albatross.

Dave Kuhlman
dkuhlman at rexx.com
http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman