[albatross-users] How-to doc for Albatross

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Wed Jul 3 21:40:18 EST 2002

>> Attached is my How-to document on Albatross.
Andrew> I've finally had a look - very nice!

>> I've converted it to the Python LaTeX2HTML format.  (Whew.  That
>> was more fun than I expected.) I've run it through LaTeX2HTML, so
>> it should be pretty clean.  But, I suspect that you will still want
>> to hack on it a bit so that it fits in with your document style.
>> Also, If you want to pitch it back toward me with comments for some
>> additional work, please do so.

Andrew> The style would be the standard python style, which we use for
Andrew> the Albatross doco. I suspect this is derived from files in
Andrew> the Python source distribution - Dave will know.

The most excellent work done by the heroes who made Python
documentation look so good should not be wasted :-)

Download the Python source distribution and unpack it somewhere.  By
doing something like the following in a Makefile you too can have cool
Python documentation:

Make sure that you alter PYTHON_SRC to point at the top level
directory where you unpacked the Python source.

- Makefile  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
PYTHON_SRC = ${HOME}/download/Python-2.2

MKHOWTO = $(PYTHON_SRC)/Doc/tools/mkhowto

PAPER = a4

DOCFILES = mydoc.tex a-file.tex b-file.tex c-file.tex

all:    pdf

pdf:    $(DOCFILES)
	$(MKHOWTO) --pdf --$(PAPER) mydoc.tex

html:   $(DOCFILES)
	$(MKHOWTO) --image-type png --html mydoc.tex
	mkdir -p mydoc/icons
	cp $(PYTHON_SRC)/Doc/html/icons/* mydoc/icons/
# the iconserver option of mkhowto is broken since it writes
# it to the end if the init_file where they aren't useful anymore,
# so we work around it:
	for f in `find mydoc -type f`; do \
	  cat $$f | sed s/\.\.\\/icons/icons/g > $${f}2; \
	  mv $${f}2 $$f; \
	done
	-rm mydoc/mydoc2
	-rm mydoc/icons/icons2
	-rm -f mydoc/images.*
	-rm -f mydoc/*.old

>> And, once again, you are welcome to use it as you see fit.

Andrew> I imagine we'll put a link to it off the Albatross page with
Andrew> an approriate credit.

Andrew> Thanks again.

Seconded.