[albatross-users] Internationalization (lookup?), embedding, licensing

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Tue Apr 16 11:40:40 EST 2002

>There are now 5 non-object-craft members on this list :-)
>
>I'm looking for a nice, small scale web application platform for use
>in an embedded linux box. I've looked at Zope, Twisted, Webware (don't
>like Cheetah), Skunkweb and many other platforms. I think Albatross
>looks best for my needs.

8-)

>1. licensing - Looks like BSD style license, is that correct?

Yes.

>2. Embedding - Looks small, that's nice

The intention is to keep it small - it should be easy enough for people
to understand and extend if they need functionality it doesn't provide.

The code should be quite modular: you can probably whittle it down
further if you need by removing bits...

>3. Internationalization - I have to support multiple languages and
>automatically "pick the proper templates" based on the client browser
>settings.

This is something that we're not good at (internationalization), being
english speakers... if you have any ideas about how the Albatross
infrastructure can be extended to help, let us know.

>I think I can get the langauge info from request headers..

You might be able to fiddle the template_path after parsing the
appropriate headers: you could have each language in a separate directory,
with standardised file names; selecting a different template_path would
give you a different language.

>4. Might have to support being an xml-rpc server in the future. I'm
>assuming I can hook into Request processing somewhere.. anyone try this?

That sounds reasonable. You could also build your own Request class.